Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Downside of the Roller-Coaster

November 11, 2013


A bit of a roller-coaster this week. I'll get the bad out of the way.

I have not popped or cracked my neck at all this week, and it is killing me. Usually I would just do it whenever I wanted, several times a day. Some would be quiet, others were the kind where people look at you kinda disgusted-like. But I decided I would not do that for the rest of my mission, which is longer than I've been out on my mission. Elder Chapman, my companion who remains within sight and
sound almost 24/7, set the same goal and I guess he gave it up. He
reminds me every time he does it. It's been tough.

We went on exchange, which means that I traded Elder Chapman for Elder
Gale (another missionary in our district) for a day. We had trouble
getting along the first little while. I think it may have been that I
just felt weird because Elder Chapman usually talks or sings in the
car, and Elder Gale doesn't as much. When we worked in Sheffield that
day (there isn't much to do in Sheffield, especially at night), all
our plans fell through. No one we wanted to visit was home or was
free. We ended up walking down VT-122, the main road, for a long time
in the cold. The plans falling apart and the events leading up to it
were the low point of the exchange. But Elder Gale and I got talking
and it turns out he's a person too. He told me about why he is serving
a mission and about what he does at home. He loves Starcraft and
Warcraft and some other computer games. Glad we got to know each
other.

We met more people who are interested in the Church, but I'm running
out of my allotted email time. "Obedience brings blessings. 100%
obedience brings miracles." Not sure who said it, but I'm going to
take their advice. I'll talk about the upside of the roller-coaster
next week.

Love Elder Richins

No comments:

Post a Comment