Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Mister Rogers and Mighty Prayer

November 4, 2013

This week has been tough. We haven't taught many people recently and we haven't set a date for anyone to be baptized in weeks.  The lack of success, as far as numbers go, started to weigh on me. This slumpy feeling continued until last night. I had a really long talk with God. I've been trying to be better with prayer by thinking about various aspects of it before praying. Recently I came across the phrase, "Pray mightily over your goals and plans," in Preach My Gospel, a Guide to Missionary Work, and last night I thought to apply it to my other prayers. It was one of the longest, mightiest prayers I have said without getting distracted or falling asleep. I had thoughts about the work that I had to write down afterwards before I forgot them and went to bed. I felt inspired to become more diligent, and was shown areas to improve in. This week will be better.

We visit a less-active man named Dave and his nonmember wife, Sharon, regularly. In one discussion, he said he probably wouldn't stop smoking until the price of cigarettes increased, just because he's not ready to give them up. Elder Chapman and I prayed that the price of cigarettes would increase. Recently their upstairs neighbor was given a terminal diagnosis for COPD and told that she has 6 months to 2 years to live. Hearing about this scared them enough that Sharon decided to stop smoking (she also has COPD). Dave decided it would be easier to stop smoking if Sharon did, so they'll both be quitting soon. The price of cigarettes went up in a way, which shows me that God answers prayers in ways I would never expect.

Inline image 3

Dressed up for Halloween (in our apartment). I'm Mr. Rogers and Elder Chapman is a Texan. We don't go outside Halloween night; instead we stay in and clean the apartment. Our kitchen looks fantastic.

Love, Elder Jon Harrison Richins

No comments:

Post a Comment